Wednesday, December 4, 2019

The Christmas Letters: Lee Smith (Read a book during the season it is set)


This was a nice little Christmas-season read. It was easy and short, which is helpful during the busy season.

It's fun to read a story of Christmas letters and how families used to do them, and how they continue to do them. My family receives several Christmas letters each year, so I'm familiar with what they are, and I thought this read was a unique way to tell the story of one family's journey through several decades.

I loved the inclusion of recipies: some of them sounded really tasty, all were fairly simple, and they each appeared in the letter which helped me connect as a reader to the story.

I enjoyed how the letters travel through three generations allowing us to follow the family and they continued on in life. Although we got one letter per year and for only a few years, it was easy to track what was going on during those years. Each letter writer did a great job summarizing the years without making the letters read like a summary.

This wasn't an inspiring or life-altering read. The characters weren't exactly moving, but it was entertaining and helpful as I move into the season of Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment