Thursday, June 29, 2017

Do I Make Myself Clear? by Harold Evans

I was told to read this book at my job, so I did. I was impressed with certain parts. I enjoyed how Evans told us something, and then provided examples of that thing he was trying to teach.

I was, however, unpleasantly surprised by the amount of politics in the book. Most of the examples (I'd say 75-80%) were political. I found myself skimming over those because I wouldn't understand them as an example and I just don't enjoy politics much.

I did gain a nice long list of words I need to use in the future from Evans, as well as a few quotes that I know I'll be keeping in the forefront of my mind from here on out.

This is a good read for writers and editors alike. Evans gives helpful advice for both. I also think it would be appropriate for college students to be reading this book, as it provides a lot of general guides on how to write well, even in simple terms.

Politics aside, it was a good read.

No comments:

Post a Comment