Friday, August 17, 2018

J is for Jane Eyre: Charlotte Bronte

Jane Eyre was such a heartwarming read. I fell in love, I cried, I laughed, and I jumped. Bronte's method of writing was so captivating and real that I fully felt part of the story. 

I've always struggled with (and just now finally got over) the drawn out beginning. Jane has a really difficult childhood, and I sympathize. I feel badly for her because she does have it rather rough. But it goes on and on and on. Even when the school is reported and someone else takes over and things should start to get better for Jane, there's nothing but sadness for her, it seems. We don't hear anything happy about her life until she reaches Thornfield Hall. I suppose one could argue that her life wasn't happy or didn't start until she came to Thornfield.  

After I got through that beginning, I loved, loved, loved the novel. I love the way Jane and Mr. Rochester fall in love, and I love all of their interactions. I love that Mr. Rochester makes Jane think he'll marry Miss Ingram, because poor Jane becomes so distraught, but I like it because it forces her to admit her feelings and "stand up" to this guy. Of course, Mr. Rochester sees through every facade of Jane and knows all along what she's feeling. Theirs is such a lovely relationship. 

The twists and turns of the story made it hard for me to go to work and put the book down. I knew Jane and Mr. Rochester would end up together, but I didn't know how. And Bronte just kept leading me astray! First with Miss Ingram, then with Rochester's wife, then with St. John, and I never felt comfortable in their security. I really enjoyed that. Bronte made me long to keep reading, and I need that in a book. 

The big question in this book comes from Mr. Rochester in chapter XX: He asks Jane, "To attain this end, are you justified in over leaping an obstacle of custom-a mere conventional impediment, which neither your conscience sanctifies nor your judgment approves?" And again he asks, "Is the wandering and sinful, but now rest-seeking and repentant man, justified in daring the world's opinion, in order to attach to him forever, this gentle, gracious, genial stranger; thereby securing his own peace of mind and regeneration of life?" Is he justified? Is he right? 

I have to give some thought to this question. I appreciate a book that makes me think, and Bronte has certainly made me think. Certainly it would be right for Mr. Rochester to remain faithful and loyal to the woman he married, but at what point does Mrs. Rochester cease to be the woman he married? She's not in her right mind, but does that release Mr. Rochester from his vows? I just don't have an answer. I greatly appreciate that I have this serious question to consider because of a book.

Jane, later on when she's giving her own thought to the matter asks, "Whether it is better, I ask, to be a slave in a fool's paradise at Marseilles-fevered with delusive bliss one hour-suffocating with the bitterest tears of remorse and shame the next-or to be a village school-mistress, free and honest, in a breezy mountain nook in the healthy heart of England?" (chapter XXXI). 

My only regret with this book is that I didn't read it sooner. I fully understand why it's a classic novel and why it's on so many book lists. Really great novel and I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment