Saturday, June 8, 2019

An Anonymous Girl: Greer Hendricks & Sarah Pekkanen (A book by two female authors)

This was a page-turning thriller, and I was kept enthralled throughout the whole story. I was very happy with the pace of the novel because it never really slowed down enough for me to be bored. I was appreciative of how quickly the story picked up; the start-up wasn't long or drawn out, and it was very easy to get swept away quickly.

The writing was very engaging, especially the change in perspectives of alternative chapters. I appreciated the perspective of Dr. Shields that was so removed, as a psychologist's notes would be. It was distant and removed from the plot, and that distance somehow added suspense, thrill, and drama to the story.

The biggest set back I had of the book was the characters. While Dr. Shields was not necessarily well-developed, she was a very intriguing character, and her lack of development didn't take away from my appreciation of her character. Jessica's character was well-developed, but she wasn't as exciting of a character as she could have been. I was especially not thrilled with how she ended the story, as what she did just seemed way out of character, or way out of the character that I was led to believe she was. After the end, I found it very difficult to sympathize with her on any level. Thomas was a character who I wanted more development on. His story was not intriguing enough to warrant the lack of development he received. He was just like a soggy old wet blanket on the story. At certain points, I thought, "This is Thomas' moment! He's going to shine and step out of the shadows," but he never does, which is disappointing for me. I think his character had a lot of potential.

This is the first book I've read by Hendricks or Pekkanen, and I'm very interested to read The Wife Between Us, their first book. I enjoyed their writing, and I would like to see if there other book is as page-turning as this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment