Wednesday, August 28, 2019

The Graveyard Book: Neil Gaiman (A ghost story)

This was a fun, quick read. I enjoyed the uniqueness of the plot and the entertaining characters Gaiman "brings to life."

Part of what really kept me reading was that Gaiman holds off on revealing so many important details until the last chapter. I wasn't necessarily bored while reading, but this lack of information really helped propel me through the story. Then, when I got to the last chapter, I was rewarded with all the missing secrets and ended the book feeling fulfilled, to a certain extent.

The climax happens in the last few chapters, making the first 75% of the book build-up, but Gaiman does a very nice job making the build-up entertaining and fun to read. It could have been very dull, but Gaiman brings in unique characters and side-stories to keep the book moving along.

I can definitely see this as being a great book to read aloud to children, but I would personally hold off on doing that until middle school, as a lot of the themes and ideas of the book are dark and unsuitable for children of a younger age. However, I think this would be very fun to read with your junior high kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment