Friday, November 27, 2020

House of Correction: Nicci French

 Tabitha is in prison for murdering Stuart. She claims she didn't do it but doesn't remember anything from that day. Her lawyer wants her to plead guilty, so Tabitha fires her. Now she has to build her case and discover the real murderer all from inside the House of Correction.

Great premise. I think it's clever! The Nicci French team pulls it off very well. If I had disappointments, which I suppose I did, they were in the reviews on the book/the way the book was advertised. It claimed to be a page-turning, nail-biting suspense. I found that to be incorrect. Most of the book is reading along while Tabitha searches for evidence either by reading papers, talking to people, or watching street cams. This isn't what I would consider thrilling. It's dramatic, for sure, and interesting, but not "nail-biting." I was prepared for a "keep-the-lights-on" thriller. 

I did not enjoy Tabitha as a person. She was impossible to relate to, and this led to it being somewhat difficult to feel badly for. I couldn't understand why the first half of the book consisted of her rejecting help from all avenues, and attacking everyone who approached her. I can't imagine what it's like to be in her position, so maybe this is just a reaction to that, but I think she could have been more appreciative and more forthcoming. But my hunch is that this is to let Tabitha shine on her own in court.

Speaking of court, this is where the book finally picks up and gets interesting, maybe even "thrilling."  It was exciting, it was fast-paced, it was emotional: all the things I wanted in the beginning and middle of the book. Tabitha had a great "enemy" in the prosecuting attorney; he was well-written, as was the judge. They made those scenes much fun to read. 

Tabitha was interesting as a character there as well. She had a spine and grit and fierceness. When listening to her interview and when hearing of her high school experiences, we're left believing that she has no backbone and lets things roll off her as they come. Even in town she's painted as a quiet loner, which makes this courtroom Tabitha difficult to understand. Where did she come from? Wherever she was hiding, she was impressive and well-written in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment