Wednesday, December 2, 2020

The President is Missing: James Patterson & Bill Clinton

James Patterson is an excellent writer, and to have a former president on your team as you write this presidential novel was an excellent move on his part. 

As I was wondering what to write in my review, I thought of a roller coaster. They most often start slowly, climbing up the steepest hill, and once they drop, there are rarely pauses or chances to catch your breath. This is how I felt reading this book. It took a while to get going, to the point where I was worried I would be disappointed by Patterson. But then the drop came, and it never stopped. 

The thrill and urgency is keenly felt by readers as they go along with President Duncan, trying their hardest to keep up, keep their breath, and solve problems alongside the POTUS. It was definitely a fun ride.

The many twists and turns kept me on my toes and meant that rereading chapters was occasionally necessary to make sure I caught each minute detail as we all tried to nab the "bad guy," so to speak. 

President Duncan was a fun main character, a great narrator, and an all around clever "detective." He was brave and bold, while having seriously human qualities: fatherhood, widowhood, sickness, etc. He was a real human, a character we can get behind and root for, a character we desperately want to see win. If I'm being honest, I definitely pictured him as President Bartlett from The West Wing and placed several other members of the staff in the book as well. That also made it fun.

I'm really glad I picked up this book from a Goodwill. It was a truly delightful read and kept me up later than I intended.

No comments:

Post a Comment