Monday, October 19, 2020

The Suicide Killer by Zach Lamb

 I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.

It took a while for the plot to get going and for me to warm up to the plot, but when I did, it was fun to follow the story and guess what would happen. It's nice that I didn't expect the ending, but it's also unfortunate because I didn't necessarily like the ending, nor did I think that it fit with the story. 

I was disappointed that the story had no hero, no main character, no protagonist. It was difficult to figure out which character I should pay attention to, which character's story I should follow the closest, and which character I should care about. That meant that I didn't really care about any of the characters which does make it hard to connect to a story. 

This book was also pretty gruesome, which I don't like, but I think that was made clear in the genre and book description. I just didn't expect it to be as gruesome as it was. 

Another challenge was the cadence of the writing. It was very forced and stiff. I think one minor issue that caused that was a lack of contractions. He often said "I will" instead of "I'll," and I think that makes it much harder to imagine the characters as people. It was robotic sounding. 

The overall plot and story is fun, especially if you're a fan of Criminal Minds or any of the CSIs.

No comments:

Post a Comment