Friday, November 27, 2020

Liar, Temptress, Soldier, Spy: Karen Abbott

 This was an excellent read. Abbott writes like fiction, and I had to remind myself several times throughout that these women were real people. 

Abbott used journals and letters and other quotes well to make this read like a story instead of a report. The descriptions throughout the book make the story come alive in the mind as well. Even though this was a nonfiction, it was still very much a page-turner, as I was excited to learn what each woman would do next, and whether or not they would be successful.

The interweaving of the women's stories helped carry the book along. I appreciated the change in characters, even in the middle of chapters sometimes. This helped keep me interested, as I was always changing women and even changing sides in the war which leads to another point.

It was very interesting to me that of the four women, two were with the Confederacy and two were with the Union. It was very educational to have both insights and get "insider" information on both sides.

I'm amazed at what people can do when it comes to standing up for their beliefs, and it's even more fascinating when those people are women. Each woman has an excellent story to tell, and I'm glad Abbott was able to share their tales so well!

No comments:

Post a Comment