Monday, April 3, 2017

Defending Jacob by William Landay

It's been a while since I've read a book I liked as much as I liked this one. From the very first page, I was captivated, holding on, dying to find out what would happen next. The whole time I couldn't reach a decision on whether or not Jacob did it. Then, the trial ended, and I felt so good about what happened until that vacation. Then I got so angry! How could he do that after all he just went through? 

And the very end? Holy crap. I almost couldn't handle it. It was too much. My heart stopped, and I cried. Which is weird because I don't cry in books (even more points for Landay). I felt bad for Jacob especially with that final dialogue, but mostly, my heart was just breaking for Andy. He had done so much, gone through so much for what? Nothing, it seems. 

I also really liked the writing style of the book. There were always three different things going on. The trial in the present, the trial in the past, and the narration throughout. This always kept me on my toes and entertained, and I thought it was a really good way to make sure every piece of information was included. 

When I finished it, I tried to start a new book (because I have a never-ending list of books I need to read) but I couldn't. I gave this new book 20 minutes, but my mind was just swamped with Andy and Jacob and all those emotional ups and downs throughout the book. I had to sleep the book-hangover off and start again the next day. Bravo, Landay!

It is definitely well-worth the read, and I will be telling everyone I see for the next week to make sure they read this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment