Wednesday, September 26, 2018

V is for A Voice in the Wind: Francine Rivers

I was very skeptical when someone handed me this book to read. I often have a difficult time reading Christian Fiction. I'm afraid it's either too touchy-feely for me, or the theology in it is so incorrect that I can't continue reading it. I was pleasantly surprised with this novel. Perhaps because the theology didn't seem to be the focal point. However, I did find Rivers' take on Christianity in the first century very interesting, especially when interacting with other Jews and Gentiles. The tension between these different religious groups was fascinating to read about, and I appreciate her perspective. Often times, I forget about the persecution that continued on after Paul's writings. It's still important to consider the things our brothers and sisters before us did and had to endure to follow Christ.

I really liked Hadassah's character. She was a very intriguing character. I appreciated her strengths and reading everything she endured, but I also appreciated seeing her faults. Rivers did a fantastic job incorporating both strengths and weaknesses, which is important for readers to see: Christians aren't perfect, and while we strive for that, it's not possible in this lifetime.

I must admit, I was shocked and horrified at the ending. I knew Julie was just going to continue getting worse and worse, but I couldn't have ever anticipated how much worse she was going to get. My heart broke at what she did, and I'm hoping for a survival from Hadassah because not only do I need her, but Marcus needs her. I love their relationship and her fight for Marcus' spiritual life. It's uplifting and lovely.

As great as all this was, I only give it four stars because it took me about 300 pages to be sucked in by her writing. I think some areas went on far too long, and I felt bogged down by portions in the story, especially the first 3/4 of the novel. I was just about ready to give up when things finally started getting interesting, and I was convinced to push on.

No comments:

Post a Comment