Friday, November 2, 2018

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society: Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows

Brilliant, beautiful, and fun! I loved the letter-style of the book. It made it much more fun and exciting to read through the words of all the different characters instead of plain narration. I've always liked books written in letters.

I would love to go to Guernsey; it sounds like a beautiful place, based on Juliet's descriptions. I think I could live there. It reminds me of Mackinac Island, in Michigan, and I love that place.

The characters in this story were such fun. They were quirky and intelligent, each in their own way, and it was amusing to hear them discuss books and argue over themes from books they'd read. I'm encouraged to start my own Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, but I might eliminate the Potato Peel Pie part...

I am disappointed that Sidney wasn't the match for Juliet. I thought they would be the best and most obvious choice, but those dreams were shattered about halfway through. All's well that ends well, I suppose.

I'm excited to watch the movie now, because I enjoyed the previews, but I knew I needed to read the book first. I'm excited to see how they turn the letters into a movie. That can either go really well or really horribly. I'm hoping for the former. 


I highly recommend this book as it's easy to read, and it's a book that allows for breaks, which is nice. It's easy to pick back up and fall back into the world of Guernsey.

No comments:

Post a Comment