Wednesday, November 28, 2018

The Marsh King's Daughter by Karen Dionne

I had very high hopes for this book. I was in a bookstore in Petoskey, Michigan and one of the workers recommended this book. It takes place in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, so I thought it would be a lot of fun to read it. Unfortunately, it was not the fun read I thought it would be...

The writing style is just very dull. It's not exciting at all. It's monotonous and bland, and each sentence sounds the same as the last. That style makes reading very difficult.

The concept and idea of the book had so much potential. A woman's father escaped from prison and is on the run and she's the only one who can track him down. Sounds thrilling, right? Really, the whole book is just continual build up and the only real action happens on the last two pages. Not my kind of read. I don't mind build up, but this was too much and the build up didn't compel me to finish the book.

I really didn't enjoy the main character either. She had so much happening around her, but she didn't change or grow or develop at all. And she was just plain dull. It's hard to empathize or be excited by such a dull, one-dimensional character.

The only cool part of the book was that it took place in Michigan. Otherwise, I would completely pass on this book...

No comments:

Post a Comment