Sunday, February 24, 2019

My Lady's Choosing: An Interactive Romance Novel: Kitty Curran (A "choose-your-own-adventure" book)


This was actually a terrible book. I tried to convince myself that it was good for what it was: a choose-your-own-adventure romance book, but even with that in mind, it was bad.

Someone in my reading challenge Goodreads group recommended this to fulfill the CYOA, and I thought it sounded interesting! It wasn't.

I thought it would be fun to read a CYOA book meant for adults, because I remember liking those as a kid. Every time you read the book, you could get a completely different story, and the same is true for this one. I followed two different paths, just to see, but each were no good.

It's hard because I'm sure a lot of the plot was written to fit the theme of the book, but what plot there was sorely lacked creativity and originality. The author tried to throw in curve balls and plot twists, but none of then flew for me.

The writing also lacked quite a bit for me. It was difficult to get through and hard to get involved in the story, which is no fun, especially when I'm playing a part in how the story goes.

It's written in third-person which helps add to the CYOA aspect, and I think I decided that I like that point of view. It is a challenge, though, when the "you" of the book is just a terrible and poorly written character. That takes away from the reading quite a bit. None of the characters are developed at all, but again, I suppose that has something to do with making this book a CYOA.

I definitely would not recommend this book, and I definitely will not read it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment