Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Home: Toni Morrison (Two books that share the same title #1)

This was a sad story of pain, suffering, and journeying through the trials of life to find your home. It was a very short read and moved along pretty quickly.

I struggled to follow the order of events in the book. No dates were given at the start of chapters, so it often took a bit for me to figure out if we were dealing with the past or present at any given point. At the end, I still didn't have a full grasp on the order of events. That made it a little challenging to follow the book.

I didn't understand the inclusion of Lily in the book, especially when she had her own chapter. Because of the length of the book, there was no room for her to grow or develop, so I couldn't understand why there was so much time spent on such an unnecessary (in my opinion) character/plot line. Frank talked about her quite a bit, which is fine and makes sense for the development of his character, but having a chapter from her perspective didn't add anything for me; taking me away from the main story of Frank instead. 

There are a lot of themes one could explore in this short book, which says a lot for the author, that she could pack so much into the book, but I wouldn't say the themes make this a phenomenal read. It was good, but it wasn't enjoyable, per say. 

No comments:

Post a Comment