Monday, September 16, 2019

The Wife Between Us: Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen (A book becoming a movie in 2019)

This was a very captivating and thrilling read. I remember thinking in the beginning, "how am I supposed to keep this straight? I have no idea which woman is which and who is doing what." Little did I know. I laughed at myself later.

The authors do a marvelous job keeping readers just slightly off base: enough to keep us turning the pages with fury trying to figure out what the heck is going on. Even through to the epilogue, they're dropping one more piece of surprise on us, surprise that I had no clue was coming.

This book was easy to read, difficult to follow (which made it easier to read because I had to keep reading in order to figure out what was happening), and very hard to put down, which is why I finished it in about two hours instead of two days.

I read An Anonymous Girl earlier in the year, and really enjoyed the fast-paced speed. I was excited to read this one, and I enjoyed this one even more. It had the same feel, but I think the characters were more believable. I know I mentioned Thomas in An Anonymous Girl being a "wet-blanket" character, having no real depth, so I appreciated that Richard was a real character with real background, real stories, and real emotions. He was an enjoyable character to read, and the authors do a great job leaving readers uncertain as to how to feel about him.

I can't say enough how much I enjoyed how this book was set-up and paced. I loved that for the first half, I thought there were two women. I loved that I was following two different stories trying to figure out when they would collide, and then realizing that they've been colliding the entire book. I loved going back and learning about Vanessa's history, and I loved keeping up and learning about Vanessa's future. I'm glad things work out for her in the end because I wasn't sure how I was supposed to feel about her for the first 75% of the book. I couldn't tell if I was supposed to believe she was crazy, insane, and vengeful, or if I was supposed to believe that she was a victim and just a little unstable. As her character and motivation grew clearer, it was easy for me to love her as a character, pity her, and sympathize with her, so I was very glad with the ending they gave her.

This was an incredibly enjoyable read, and I cannot wait to see the movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment