Thursday, October 11, 2018

W is for Wonder: R.J. Palacio

This was an enjoyable read. It was easy to read, easy to follow along, and engaging. I enjoyed Palacio's style of writing and I liked the breakdown of parts amongst the different characters: having that different perspective was fun, especially when Palacio threw in the different writing styles for each character. That was fun.

I'm glad I read the book instead of watching the movie/before watching the movie. I don't know why I had no interest in watching the movie, but my mom suggested I read this for W, and I'm glad I read it. I understand why it was such a hit: it is a great work. Palacio hits on so many touching themes and ties everything up in a neat little bow at the end.

I enjoyed Mr. Browne's precepts in their English class. I thought that was a great idea; one that I might implement if I was a teacher.

I liked that Palacio held off on providing a description of Auggie until it was Via's turn to tell the story. That was an interesting way to make sure the readers understood that this was not about the way Auggie looked and that the other themes were far more important than physical description. That being said, he provided some details that enabled guessing and visualizing, which is important for your readers to build a world.

This is a well-written, easy to read, emotional story of a lovable kid and his middle school adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment