Thursday, October 25, 2018

Reflections on my ABC Challenge

I just posted the final book for my ABC Challenge, Z is for The Zookeeper's Wife: Diane Ackerman, and I wanted to take some time to reflect on this challenge.

To start, I'm thankful I did this. For the first time, I had a drive and direction to what I was reading. I'd fallen off the reading wagon after college, because I didn't really have a reason or a need to read. Because of that, I didn't know what to read. With this challenge, I knew I had to read at least 26 books in 2018. I had to choose these books (within the confines of whatever letter I was on), but I had guidelines, structure, and direction for what to choose.

I'm also thankful because it helped me cross a lot of books of my to-read list. I was so excited when I decided to do this challenge because I would finally have to read Atonement by Ian McEwan. I picked that book up at a Goodwill after watching the movie and loving it, but that was years ago. I just never got around to reading it.

I finally read all the way through Emma and Jane Eyre and cursed myself for waiting so long. I read the entirety of The Turn of the Screw which I was supposed to read during my Junior year of college but didn't want to... and when I finished it, I understood why I didn't want to.

I found a new favorite author through this challenge: Charles Martin. I read Long Way Gone, and I knew I had to read more. Now I will.

I read historic books that helped me view history in a whole new light, like The Underground Railroad and The Zookeeper's Wife.

I read a book given to me by a friend after I miscarried, and A Grief Observed guided me through my hurt.

When searching for a Q book, I found a fascinating book that gave me more understanding and helped me see different ways to utilize my introverted self.

I finally read a book that I wanted to for years because it was a retelling of one of my favorite books in the Bible: Hosea.

I'm sad the challenge is over, because now I'm on my own to figure out what to read, but I'm so glad I did it. I'm already thinking about what to do next year. I highly encourage everyone to do some sort of reading challenge at least once, because it pushes you out of your "usual" reading borders and helps you find a whole new world of writing.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds very cool, congratulations on completing the challenge!

    ReplyDelete