Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Y is for Yesterday: Sue Grafton

I remember reading the first book in this series many years ago because I figured I should attempt it because of the popularity. After reading this one, I understand why I never continued in the series. Perhaps it's cheating to read this book for my Y book in my alphabet challenge, but it was recommended to me, and with Grafton's recent passing, I wanted to give it a shot, knowing this series has big influence in our world.

The story was good, but it would have been better if it was half the length. There was so much extra that really pulled me away from the plot and made it very difficult to enjoy. I had basically figured out the ending after about 75 pages; it just took so long to get there. I was ready for it to be over long before it was. There were a few twists that took me by surprise, but none of them impacted the story much, so I wasn't excited by them. In short, I was just bored by this book. It was fairly dull.

I had a difficult time getting into the story, and I think that's because of Grafton's writing style. It's not a style that draws the reader in barely allowing for any resurfacing. It was easy to put the book down and hard to pick it back up.

Kinsey isn't an enjoyable character either, and that could be because I've only read two in this series, but I found her to be a bit slow, dull, and apathetic. Even when she's fighting against Ned for her life, it was cold and void of emotions making it unexciting for me.

Maybe the reason I didn't enjoy this book is because I haven't read the whole series, but I have no motivation or intention to do so after this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment