Thursday, January 19, 2017

Honest Illusions by Nora Roberts

I'll admit: I might like Nora Roberts a bit too much. I have two and a half bookshelves full of her books (not to mention the shelf of J.D. Robb), and there are still books I'm dying to get my hands on. Honest Illusions is one of my favorites of her's because it combines many things that I really enjoy. Unlike some of her books with "real" magic, the magic in these books is just "illusion", but Roberts writes in a way that allows her readers to fully see the tricks and feel as though they are at the shows. While she does weave the "real" magic stories (I'm currently reading the Cousins O'Dwyer series) really well, it's easier to see what's the characters in Honest Illusion are doing because the tricks are ones that can and have been done by others, so I find this book more enjoyable. I read it while sitting on the couch next to my husband, and he gave me very weird looks several times as I laughed out loud at the characters in this book. I wouldn't consider Roberts to write comedy, but her books never fail to make me laugh. Her characters are all lovable and pitiful; I laugh alongside them, and my heart breaks alongside theirs. There are also so many different paths to track and keep up with which makes it a page-turner because you just have to find out what is going to happen to each person and each of their enemies. Each character is keeping their secrets and their enemies to themselves while ensuring each other they are completely trustworthy- this, I believe, speaks to the very being of many people. "Oh, I'm fine, trust me." Anyway, it was a wonderful book. I'm always disappointed when Roberts' books finish, and I might just start this one over again!

No comments:

Post a Comment