Tuesday, January 24, 2017

The Face of Fear by Dean Koontz

I haven't had much experience with Koontz, and I was intrigued when a friend gave me this book and told me to read it. Judging by the cover (yes, I know I'm not supposed to do that, but I can't help it) I thought I would struggle to get through. It just didn't look like the type of book I usually read. The cover looks all sci-fi, which is not my favorite genre. However, I wouldn't classify this as sci-fi. It is such a thriller! After I got past the first 50 pages or so, I couldn't put the book down any more until I finished it. The first bit is the basic introduction, trying to get readers interested and invested, but I didn't fully become invested until much later on, once all the real action began. It's really hard for me to read a book where I don't care about the characters, and I didn't start to care about Graham or Connie until page 86 or so, and this made it difficult for me to not give up on the book. I'd heard so many good things about Koontz, though, so I kept going. And I am so glad I did. The last half of the book is extremely suspenseful and the tension is almost unbearable. I wanted to read ahead to find out what happened, but I didn't allow myself that pleasure. I gave this book a four out of five rating because of the amount of time it took for me to stop thinking of the book as a chore and actually begin to enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment