Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Dark Paradise by Tami Hoag

While I love Tami Hoag's novels, I wasn't a huge fan of this novel. I didn't really enjoy the main character because she was almost too much for me (I'm not sure if that actually makes sense or not, but it's how I feel). She didn't have many qualities that made me love her, but I could feel for her because she was going through a lot.

J.D. is a okay hero-type character; he sure sounds gorgeous and romantic, but he could have used a bit more development. He starts the novel off as a huge jerk and ends the novel in the same way, leading me to assume he was untouched by everything that went on throughout the novel. It also disappointed me that he didn't fully reunite with his brother. After all they went through, I thought perhaps they would be able to climb over some of the barriers that were left blocking their way to a good and strong relationship.

I appreciated the "villans" in this novel as well, because for a second, I wanted to really like them, and I liked that Hoag made me second guess my judgement by having the people I wanted to like be the awful characters.

I'm kind of sad I didn't get to meet Lucy, as I thought she would have been a great addition, but she was dead, and that fact is what drove the whole novel, so that wouldn't have made sense. I think she was the character with the most depth, and she died before the book began...

As far as the thriller aspect goes, there wasn't any, really. Sure, there were a few "close to death" scenes, but I was never really so into it that I couldn't stop and forgot where I was.

All of that being said, I do love a good ranch romance, and this proved to be one of those. I won't be reading it again any time soon, but it wasn't completely bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment