Thursday, February 2, 2017

Heart of Dixie by Tami Hoag

This was my first Hoag romance book. I have only ever read her thrillers, and I enjoyed the romance aspects of those books so I decided to read one of her solely romance books. It was a good, cute story, but when I was reading it, I was missing the thriller "who's going to die next" kind of rush I got from her other novels. 

I loved the characters in this novel, and I did feel sorry for Dixie, giving up everything she had to start over and be herself (I thought that whole theme was a good one, just be yourself no matter the cost, which we can tell through Dixie that it is never that easy). 

I also loved Jake, for all the flaws he had. Who really actually eats like that? He seems like the kind of guy any girl would be happy to have: loving Dixie for everything she was without asking her to change anything. 

I kind of hoped Dixie would let him write his book in the end for a real happy ending. Dixie never fully faces her issues and the problems of her past, and Jake gives up on the one thing that's been driving him for months. I get that people in love sacrifice things, but this novel didn't have any character development. The only development was in Dixie's cousin and her boyfriend (at least, I think they made up; now that I actually think about it, I can't remember if their reunion was even mentioned.). I acknowledge this is a purely romance book, so characters don't need to develop as long as they fall in love in the end, which Hoag gave us, so I shouldn't complain about people not changing or growing up or facing their problems. I'm just a sucker for character development. 

No comments:

Post a Comment