Monday, January 21, 2019

Peace Like a River: Leif Enger (A book about a family)

This book has all of the things I look for in a book of fiction: family, love, tragedy, faith, forgiveness, death, triumph, twist endings... It was an incredibly good read. 

This book had been on my to-read list for quite a while, and I finally checked out from my local library. I'm very sad that I don't remember why I put it on my list. I would like to know where I saw it or who recommended that I read it because I would like to thank him or her. 

The narration, done by Reuben, an 11-year-old-boy, is well done. It is compelling and drives the story along. I enjoyed his perspective on things, and I find the author's choice of character interesting. He could have made great narration with any of the other characters, but by choosing Reuben, he maintains a sense of innocence throughout the whole book, which adds to the emotion and drama of the narrative. 

I loved the character of Swede, and I envy her poetic talents. It's fairly unbelievable that a nine-year-old would have such talent, but Enger makes us believe. She's a fun addition to the house of boys. 

The theme of faith in this book also intrigued me. Enger just hints at it, really. He mentions the miracles and Jeremiah's prayers and devotions, but it's more of a side story, and not a focus of the book, which is interesting because it is a central focus of the family. He touches on Davy's refusal to believe, but it doesn't go deeper than that. Reuben and Swede seem along for the ride, and know how to use faith to their advantage, but again, Enger doesn't go deeper than that. I wonder at his reasoning for including so many points of religion without diving in or working off those points.

The emotional ride I had in this book was a subtle but fun one. It was a slow ride, and one that I took a break from several times, but I enjoyed it. Enger carries you along through this family's search for love and redemption in a brilliant and beautiful way.

No comments:

Post a Comment