Monday, January 21, 2019

The Silent Wife: A. S. A. Harrison (A book told from multiple character POVs).

This was a fantastic read. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time I read it, and I never knew how it was going to end until it ended. I love it when a book can do that.

The POVs of Jodi and Todd were great; it helped move the plot forward, when it could have gotten stuck. Getting into both of their minds helped build cases for and against both of them. I could have chosen to like or hate both of them, depending on how I interpreted their actions. I appreciated that Harrison gives us the room to make a choice.

I found it added to the thrill that mainly the characters were referred to as "Him" and "Her." Their names are used, but in the beginning especially, Harrison sticks with him and her. This makes it more thrilling because I imagine the characters as nameless people going through the motions, building up to the climax but not knowing how to get there.

Harrison also does a great job building her characters. They are all unlikable at some point, and the only one who I found I actually did like or feel sympathy for was Jodi. Just when I thought she had no backbone and did nothing to stand up for herself, she does so, in the biggest way she can. It took me by surprise when she finally grew that backbone and let her anger loose.

I enjoyed the inclusion of the transcripts for Jodi's psych appointments. This helped build Jodi into the person she was at the end. Through those conversations, the readers are allowed to understand the backstory of Jodi and how she thinks. It was fascinating to read the last few pages and connect the puzzle pieces of Ryan and Darrell.

I started this book too late in the night to read it through in one sitting, and I regret that. It was a book that I did not want to put down.

No comments:

Post a Comment