Sunday, January 13, 2019

The Dressmaker: Kate Alcott (A book with an item of clothing on the cover)

This was an exceptionally written book. It was a book I bought based on the title and the cover. It reminded me of Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker, mainly because of the title, so I figured I would enjoy this book too. I had no idea it was about the Titanic and the aftermath, but I'm grateful it was.

Tess, our heroine, was a brilliantly built character. She pulls you along on this torment of tragedy, courage, and love. She's a fantastic blend of naiveté and maturity, which I found to be inspiring.

All of the characters were well built and written. Each has growth which is important for me in a story, especially in such a drama as this. I was shocked to discover that a majority of the characters were real people and the plot points truly happened. I spent at least an hour looking up each person, reading the summaries from the trials, and finding out the ramifications of these events. I'm thankful that this story lead me to do much learning!

I've never much liked the movie Titanic, I think because it was too drawn out regardless of the lack of touching on the more serious issues of the sinking. I found this book to be a much better retelling of this tragedy because it goes beyond the actual sinking and follows the survivors as they face the world waiting for them. Alcott reminds us of the aftermath and the lives ruined in the weeks following.

No comments:

Post a Comment